Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The ghosts that broke my heart.

Sometimes you can tell you are annoying someone.
Sometimes it annoys you, sometimes you dont care.
You dont know how lucky we are.


I'm at the starting line and its all ahead of me. Just a long, straight track.
Theres not just me though, because im surrounded by hundreds of other people too. By looking at their faces, you can tell what theyre thinking. Some of them are evidently raring to go; excited at the prospect of the race ahead. Others are scared, petrified at the thought of having to begin. Some just seem disinterested and, to the dismay of the competitors that seem worried, dont seem to be at all effected or anxious.
Its time to take up the mark. We step up, united. Together, we are all at the very start. Our different feelings and anticipations and attitudes are forgotten. The ones who are reluctant now join with the ones who are keen. Regardless of the details, none of these people stood beside me can escape the fact we are stood where we are. The starting line.
We begin now. Some people dont even start; never even crossing the starting line. Some only walk, some sprint, some jog. But right away its clear that some are better than the others, because they speed off and leave the slower competitors behind.
I focus on my own track now. I focus on keeping in the white lines. I focus on being unfocused on the rest. For as far as i can see the track is straight and pretty wide. Heading off into the distance, the lines vanish. They merge into a blurry mist on the horizon. Things start to change now, because a few of the tracks combine into one causing the two runners to be running together. Some runners stop, unable to take it. Their races are over.
Now i can see my track clearer, even though sometimes its clouded and hazy, it begins to lift again. It starts to get bumpy and rough, i'm stumbling to keep on my feet. Other people have had this already, some fell at the challenge but the most persistant continued. The track becomes flat, then steep, then muddy, then cold, then too hot, then cloudy. The obsticles become more frequent. Then they disappear and everything is smooth. Just as i think i'm doing ok, something will block my path and i will have to climb over it. The different competitors encounter different barriers at different times. Not all of them can keep up with the crowd and they run at their own pace. Plenty give up, stop running and find it strange trying to take on all these obsticles. I know in my head that i cannot give up and stop running. Even though its muddy and sometimes windy or rough.


Ive been running my race for 15 years now.
Its not getting easier, or harder.
Its just a challenge.
Keep it up.
x x x x x x x x

No comments: